New York City, USA’s largest city and the world’s 38th largest, has a population of over 8.622 million people. Now, NYC has 87,028 Coronavirus cases, which is more than China’s 81,865 cases. If New York City were a country, it would be No.6 in most number of cases.
USA has 457,101 COVID-19 cases, which is more than the combined total cases in the next three countries (Spain, Italy and France).
It is surprising that the world’s most advanced country, which spends 16.9% of GDP as public expenditure on health (by far the highest in the world), not only has the highest absolute number of cases, but is No.7 in terms of “Incidence Rate“.
Despite such a high expenditure on healthcare, America has only tested 6,805 people per million residents, compared to 20,778 in Switzerland, 19,900 (est.) in Spain, 15,780 in Germany, 14,102 in Austria, 13,330 in Italy, 13,099 in Australia, 11,920 in Italy, 9,318 in South Korea, 7,301 in Belgium, and 6,888 in Russia.
LATEST UPDATES (at 7:45 pm UTC):
- The world now has over 1.586 million cases
- The global death toll has crossed 94,750
- India has 6,725 cases and 227 deaths, as per covid19india.org
- Spain became the second country after USA to cross 150,000 cases
- UK and Iran are the 7th and 8th countries to cross 65,000 cases, Turkey the 9th to cross 40,000 cases, Canada the 13th to cross 20,000, and Russia the 18th to cross 10,000 cases
The number of countries with 5000+ cases is 30 (up from 16 on March 31)
35 countries have 4000+ cases (up from 29 on April 6)
39 countries have 3000+ cases (up from 34 on April 8)
47 countries have 2000+ cases (up from 30 on March 31)
63 countries have 1000+ cases (up from 44 on March 31)
- Italy became the first country with over 18,000 deaths, USA the 2nd with over 16,000, France the 4th with over 12,000, and Iran the 6th with over 4,000 deaths
- 10 countries have 2000+ deaths (up from 8 on April 3)
- 15 countries have 500+ deaths (up from 12 on April 3)
- 26 countries have 200+ deaths (up from 25 on April 8)
- 33 countries have 100+ deaths (up from 23 on April 3)