The State of New York is USA’s fourth largest state by population, with about 19.454 million people (5.9% of USA’s population), roughly the same population as the Eastern European country Romania, the sixth most populous nation in the EU, or that of India’s National Capital territory of Delhi. NY is the 27th largest American state by geographical area, with just 1.43% of the country’s area.
New York State now has 252,094 Coronavirus cases (1.8 times more than 140,078 cases reported on April 8), which is more than all the 210 countries and territories which have reported COVID-19 cases. The death count stands at 18,929 (3.4 times more than 5,558 deaths reported on April 8), which is higher than the death count of all countries except Italy, Spain and France.
Combined with the two neighbouring states of New Jersey and Connecticut (the three are commonly referred to as the “Tri-state Area”), there are 360,715 cases (1.9 times more than 192,275 cases reported on April 8), which is 45.5% of all cases in the US and 80.2% more than Spain, the country with the second highest number of cases after the US. The combined death count of the Tri-state Area is 24,637, which is 57.9% of USA’s total death count and higher than any country’s.
New York City (not the capital of the state), USA’s largest city and the world’s 38th largest, has a population of over 8.622 million people, roughly the same as Hyderabad. NYC alone has over 138,000 cases, which is just less than four countries (obviously excluding USA itself). In other words, if New York City were a country, it would be No.6 in terms of most number of cases.
USA has a total of 792,938 Coronavirus cases, which is 31.9% of the world’s total, and more than the combined total cases in the next four countries (Spain, Italy, France and Germany). It’s death count of 42,518 is almost 25% of the world’s total deaths due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
It is surprising that the world’s most advanced country, which spends 16.9% of GDP as public expenditure on health (by far the highest in the world), not only has the highest absolute number of cases, but is No.8 in terms of “Infection Rate” (number of people infected per million residents). Despite such a high expenditure on healthcare, America has only tested 11,782 people per million residents, compared to 28,208 in Israel, 26,125 in Switzerland, 23,066 in Portugal, 22,404 in Italy, over 21,000 in Germany, 20,430 in Austria, over 20,000 in Spain, 18,567 in Ireland, and over 14,000 in Canada, Belgium and even Russia.
Read my Post on Infection Rates
IN INDIA, SUNami RISES IN THE WEST, SETS IN THE EAST
Is Coronavirus Ready To Leave Planet Earth?
Beginning of End of Coronavirus in India?
Which Countries have the Highest Growth in Deaths?
Is something wrong with the way India is conducting tests or reporting data?
LATEST UPDATES (at 08:30 am UTC):
- The world has crossed 2.491 million cases
- The global death toll is over 170,000
- India has reached 18,829 cases and 601 deaths as per covid19india.org
- Turkey became the 7th country to cross 90,000 cases
- Russia became the 10th country to cross 50,000 cases
- Brazil became the 11th country to cross 40,000 cases
- 5 countries have crossed 125,000 cases (up from 1 on April 3)
- 9 countries have crossed 75,000 cases (up from 4 on April 3)
- 15 countries have crossed 25,000 cases (up from 11 on April 3)
- 19 countries have crossed 15,000 cases (up from 12 on April 3)
- 27 countries have crossed 10,000 cases
- 33 countries have crossed 7,500 cases
44 countries have crossed 5,000 cases (up from 20 on April 3)
46 countries have crossed 4,000 cases (up from 25 on April 3)
54 countries have crossed 3,000 cases (up from 27 on April 3)
- 5 countries have 15,000+ deaths (up from just 1 on April 3)
- 10 countries have 3000+ deaths (up from 7 on April 3)
- 15 countries have 1000+ deaths (up from 10 on April 3)
- 21 countries have 500+ deaths (up from 12 on April 3)
- 29 countries have 300+ deaths (up from 17 on April 3)