I have been conducting Data Analytics Studies on the Coronavirus Pandemic for 147 days and have written 215 research-based blog posts on COVID-19 in these 147 days.
With 4,79,779 cases, Maharashtra (current estimated population 129.4 million or 12.94 crore) has reported more Covid19 cases than 208 countries. Only USA, Brazil, Russia and South Africa (India excluded) have reported more cases than Maharashtra.
The Greater Mumbai Metropolitan Region has reported over 1.98 lac Covid cases, of which 1.2 lac are from Mumbai city alone.
Maharashtra has reported an average of 9,924 cases per day in the past seven days.
In number of deaths, only nine countries (USA, Brazil, Mexico, UK, Italy, France, Spain, Peru and Iran) have reported higher than Maharashtra’s tally of 16,792.
Maharashtra’s case count is almost 72% higher than Tamil Nadu, the state with the second highest number of cases (2,79,144) reported till date.
Three American states — California (current estimated population 39.75 million), Florida (21.65 million) and Texas (29.09 million) — have reported more cases than Maharashtra. However, each of these states has a far lower death count.
OTHER COVID-19 HEADLINES:
- The world crossed 19 million (1.9 crore) cases.
- USA crossed 4.99 million (49.9 lac) cases.
- India crossed 2 million cases.
- South Africa became the fifth country to cross 500,000 cases.
- Mexico became the sixth country to cross 450,000 cases.
- Spain became the ninth country to cross 350,000 cases.
- Colombia overtook UK and Iran to reach the No.10 rank in cases. The Top 10 now have 5 countries from Central & South America (Brazil, Mexico, Peru, Chile and Colombia), 2 from Europe (Russia and Spain), USA, India and South Africa.
- Saudi Arabia overtook Pakistan to reach the No.13 rank in cases.
- Bangladesh overtook Italy to reach the No.15 rank in cases.
- Argentina overtook France and Germany to reach the No.18 rank in cases.
- There have been several changes in the 22nd to 30th rank. Philippines is now No.22, Indonesia 23, Canada 24, Qatar 2, Kazakhstan 26, Egypt 27, Ecuador 28, Bolivia (a new entrant into the Top 30) at No.29 and China at No.30. Yes, incredibly, the one and only China is now at the No.30 rank in cases!!!
- Peru became the ninth country to cross 20,000 deaths.
- Iraq became the 24th country to cross 5,000 deaths.
READ THESE RECENT POSTS:
LATEST UPDATES (at 4:15 pm UTC; 6 August 2020):
- The world has crossed 19.094 million (1.9 crore) cases
- The global death toll is over 713,400
- With 20,21,407 cases and 41,627 deaths, India is No.3 in cases and No.5 in deaths.
- 4 countries have crossed 750,000 cases (up from 0 on April 3)
- 7 countries have crossed 400,000 cases (up from 0 on April 3)
- 14 countries have crossed 250,000 cases (up from 1 on April 3)
- 20 countries have crossed 150,000 cases (up from 1 on April 3)
- 25 countries have crossed 100,000 cases (up from 3 on April 3)
- 45 countries have crossed 50,000 cases (up from 8 on April 3)
- 2 countries have crossed 97,000 deaths (up from 0 on April 3)
- 5 countries have crossed 40,000 deaths (up from 0 on April 3)
- 9 countries have crossed 20,000 deaths (up from 0 on April 3)
- 12 countries have crossed 10,000 deaths (up from 0 on April 3)
- 24 countries have crossed 5,000 deaths (up from 5 on April 3)
- 31 countries have crossed 2,500 deaths (up from 7 on April 3)
- 46 countries have crossed 1,000 deaths (up from 10 on April 3)